Thursday, April 28, 2011

Testing the Waters

May 2nd is International Pagan Coming Out Day, and I have been thinking a lot about how I should recognize that day. I've read many blogs and news articles covering IPCOD and have finally come to the conclusion that small steps are going to be the best plan of action. First, I am going to wear my Triquetra pendant every day without fear. I love the Triquetra (shown above). To be honest, the Pentacle is just too in-your-face for me. A Triquetra is much more discreet. I have never been one who likes a lot of attention, so a Triquetra suits me just fine. I am actually considering getting one tattooed on me as a birthday present to myself in June.  Second, I am going to try to stop being so fearful about what other people think. I am under no obligation to explain myself to anyone, as I don't expect anyone to explain themselves to me. A personal spiritual path is just that; personal. My path is only best for me. Third, I am going to "come out" to one person in my family; my sister. I think she may already suspect I'm Wiccan (or something similar) anyway. I am still debating whether to call her or write a letter. A real letter. Sent through the USPS with a stamp and everything. Either way, I think she'll be understanding and discreet, especially with our parents. I want a family member (other than my husband) to know of my wishes in case something where to happen to me.

I don't think that I will ever come out to my parents, and there are several reasons as to why. I remember when my Mom found out that my uncle's ex-wife was a Witch she seriously considered trying to get custody of my young cousins. I remember all of the scary and untrue things my Mom told me about witches. I believe that if I come out to her her reaction will be the same. My above mentioned sister left her husband more than a year ago and will be filing for divorce soon. My parents told her what she was doing was an unforgivable sin, even thought she was leaving an emotionally damaging relationship. They would rather she stayed with a man who didn't treat her well than suffer the 'sin' of divorce. My beautiful sister has recently met a man who treats her like a queen, and my parents refuse to talk about him. I don't understand how they can treat her this way. Can you imagine what they'd say to me? I've suffered enough emotional abuse at their hands. I don't want to go through more.

I want to thank those of you who read my blog. It means a lot to me to have your support. I welcome your comments!

Blessed be!

No comments: